Senator Tom Cotton knocked it out of the park Wednesday during the hearing that will decide where the country goes from here. For two centuries the US has relied on filibusters in the Senate to prevent a small majority from ruling the population. In the past, both parties have sought to strip the power away from the minority—Just as Democrats are trying to do now.

This would give whatever party that owns the majority, by no matter how small of a margin, nearly absolute power. Something our forefather’s saught to prevent.

During his brief time on the floor, Sen Cotton read, word-for-word, Sen Chuck Schumer’s speech against the removal of the filibuster. Schumer is one of the Democrats leading the calls to kill it.

Kind of a brilliant move on Cotton’s part—Forcing Schumer to eat his own words.

Schumer’s speech that Cotton read:

Right now, we are on the precipice of a constitutional crisis. We are about to step into the abyss. I want to talk for a few minutes why we are on that precipice and why we are looking into that abyss.

“Let me first ask a fundamental question: What is the crisis that calls for the undoing of two centuries of tradition? … Are … Senators merely doing their jobs as legislators, responding to a generalized public calling for the abolition of the filibuster? Clearly not. It is not the American people at large who are demanding detonation of the nuclear option.

“[T]he nuclear option is being pushed largely by the radioactive rhetoric of a small band of radicals who hold in their hands the political fortunes of the President.

See also  'Calm Down & Back Off’: MSNBC Guest Orders Americans to ‘Stop Complaining’ About Inflation

“Constitutional scholars will tell us that the reason we have these rules in the Senate—unlimited debate, two-thirds to change the rules, the idea that 60 have to close off debate—is embodied in the spirit and rule of the Constitution. … That is what the Constitution is all about, and we all know it.

“It is the Senate where the Founding Fathers established a repository of checks and balances. It is not like the House of Representatives where the majority leader or the Speaker can snap his fingers and get what he wants. … On important issues, the Founding Fathers wanted—and they were correct in my judgment—that the slimmest majority should not always govern. … The Senate is not a majoritarian body.

“The bottom line is very simple: the ideologues in the Senate want to turn what the Founding Fathers called the cooling saucer of democracy into the rubber stamp of dictatorship. … They want to make this country into a banana republic where if you don’t get your way, you change the rules! Are we going to let them? It will be a doomsday for democracy if we do.

“I, for one, hope and pray that it will not come to this. But I assure my colleagues, at least speaking for this Senator … I will do everything I can to prevent the nuclear option from being invoked not for the sake of myself or my party but for the sake of this great Republic and its traditions.”

Those are powerful words—but they’re not mine.

Every word of my speech today was originally spoken by my esteemed colleague, the senior senator from New York, Chuck Schumer.

See also  Kennedy Breaks Down Biden's Power Plan: 'Wind, Solar, And Wishful Thinking'

Senator Schumer spoke so eloquently in defense of the Senate’s rules, customs, and traditions when the fortunes of his party looked a little different.

My, how times have changed. Now it’s Senator Schumer’s fingers that are hovering over the nuclear button, ready to destroy the filibuster for partisan advantage.

Think about it—the narrowest majority in Senate history wants to break the Senate rules to control how voters in every state elect senators. Could there be a better argument to preserve the Senate’s rules, customs, and traditions?

Before it’s too late, let us reflect on the wise and eloquent words of Senator Schumer, words that are as true today as they were when he spoke them. Even if Senator Schumer is singing a different tune today.”

Erica Carlin

5 1 vote
Jacqueline Hernandez

I get paid more than $90 to $100 per hour for working online. I heard about this job 3 months ago and after joining this I have earned easily $10k from this without having online working skills . Simply give it a shot on the accompanying site…
Here’s what I do…………>>> http://Www.NETCASH1.Com

Last edited 5 months ago by Jacqueline Hernandez

I get paid more than $90 to $100 per hour for working online. I heard about this job 3 months ago and after joining this I have earned easily $10k from this without having online working skills . Simply give it a shot on
the accompanying site…. http://www.cashoffer9.com

Last edited 5 months ago by Richard
NicoleHartley

I getting Paid upto $18953 in the week, working on-line at home. I’m full time Student. I shocked when my sister’s told me about her check that was $97k. It’s very easy to do. everybody will get this job.Go to home media tab for additional details. See—->>> http://www.pays11.com

Last edited 5 months ago by NicoleHartley
Kimberly

Start making money this time… Spend more time with your family & relatives by doing jobs that only require you to have a computer and an internet access and you can have that at your home. Start bringing up to $65,000 to $70,000 a month. I’ve started this job and earn a handsome income and now I am exchanging it with you, so you can do it too.

You can check it out here…….. http://www.livejob247.com

Last edited 5 months ago by Kimberly
Helen

Making extra easy money while just staying at home and do some work online in just part time. last month i earned $18532 from this by giving this just 2 hrs after my whole busy day life. no boss over shoulders do this job whenever you want. this will change your life like me. go here right now and follow instructions to start.
=-=-=-> http://Www.PAYCASH1.com

Last edited 5 months ago by Helen
juliya

I get paid over $87 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Here’s what I’ve been doing… http://www.Buzzjoin.com

Last edited 5 months ago by juliya
CharlieSeattle

Soo? No arrest? Wasted photo op Tommy.

I liked your new tie.

Jane

[ JOIN US ] ★My last month paycheck was for 15000 dollars… All i did was simple online work from comfort at home for 3-4 hours/day that I got from this agency I discovered over the internet and they paid me for it 95 bucks every hour on…… http://www.MoneyStar1.com

Last edited 5 months ago by Jane
Patricia

[ STAY AT HOME & WORK AT HOME FOR USA ] Start making money this time… Spend more time with your family & relatives by doing jobs that only require you to have a computer and an internet access and you can have that at your home. Start bringing up to $65o to $7oo a month. I’ve started this job and earn a handsome income and now I am exchanging it with you, so you can do it too. You can check it out here……..●▬▬▬▬ஜஜ▬▬▬▬●↠↠↠Www.Live124.com

piga

Last edited 5 months ago by piga
Maya Wood

Seriously I don’t know why more people haven’t tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And i get surly a check of $12600 what’s awesome is I m working from home so I get more time with my kids.

Try it, you won’t regret it! ………. http://www.livejob247.com

Last edited 5 months ago by Maya Wood
Zara Aliyeva

Everybody can earn $500 Daily… Yes! you can earn more than you think by working online from home. I have been doing this job for like a few weeks and my last week payment was exactly $12537 dollars.