House Grills Pentagon Over $1.5T Push To Rebuild Military


Follow America's fastest-growing news aggregator, Spreely News, and stay informed. You can find all of our articles plus information from your favorite Conservative voices. 

The House will press Pete Hegseth and senior Pentagon officials on a $1.5 trillion defense request that has set off loud debate in Washington, with allies arguing it rebuilds American muscle and critics saying the number is out of control. The hearing will test whether Congress will fund a sweeping military rebound that the administration frames as necessary to deter rivals and restock depleted arsenals. Expect sharp partisan lines, tough questions about Iran and Ukraine, and a fight over domestic cuts that the White House says are part of a larger national-security tradeoff.

Democrats and some Republicans call the request unprecedented, pointing to big increases and steep domestic reductions, but the administration says this is about strategy and survival. From replenishing munitions to expanding the industrial base, officials argue the money is aimed at keeping the United States ahead of rivals. Republicans in particular view the proposal as a long overdue correction to years of underinvestment and drifting priorities.

Hegseth will also be asked about the administration’s posture toward Iran as diplomatic options stall and tensions simmer. President Trump said Monday that the ceasefire with Iran is “on life support” during a news conference in the Oval Office, and lawmakers want to know what that means for operations and costs. The mix of diplomacy, deterrence, and potential kinetic action will be front and center under questioning.

The White House frames the whole push as building back a strong deterrent and a modernized force, and it has used bold language to sell the plan. TRUMP CALLS FOR $1.5T DEFENSE BUDGET TO BUILD ‘DREAM MILITARY’ is how the administration has presented its ambition, arguing that a robust military is the foundation of American peace. That pitch will be tested against concerns about affordability and political will on Capitol Hill.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Dan Caine and Pentagon comptroller Jules Hurst will join Hegseth at the House Appropriations Committee hearing, putting three top defense voices under the same spotlight. The trio has already faced tough questioning in April, and that tense dynamic is likely to repeat itself. Lawmakers will press for specifics on procurement, readiness, and how fast the military can absorb a surge in funding.

“The biggest challenge, the biggest adversary we face at this point are the reckless, feckless, and defeatist words of congressional Democrats and some Republicans,” Hegseth told lawmakers, a line he used previously to push back at critics. That quote sums up how the Pentagon chief frames his opposition: not just a rival budget argument but a clash of will and strategic outlook. Expect Hegseth to use strong rhetoric again to defend the request.

Pentagon officials have already signaled the conflict is costly; Hurst told Congress that the Iran war has cost $25 billion so far, mostly for munitions, and warned that true totals could be higher. The department is preparing for a possible supplemental request that could balloon once the full scope of the campaign is accounted for. Republicans argue that emergency funding and a larger baseline are both necessary to avoid leaving the force hollow.

“It’s shocking how deep we have gone into these magazines,” Sen. Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., said on CBS News’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday. That criticism from Democrats centers on the pace of spending and the lack of a clear strategic endgame, and it gives opponents a simple line to rally behind on Capitol Hill. Hegseth and other supporters counter that short-term costs are unavoidable if the United States is going to deter threats and protect allies.

Hegseth has accused Sen. Kelly of divulging classified information and said the Pentagon’s legal counsel would review his remarks, escalating the public back-and-forth. “Did he violate his oath…again?” Hegseth wrote on social media, referring to his attempts to sanction Kelly for past comments. The exchange highlights how political and personal this budget fight has become.

$1,300 COFFEE CUPS, 8,000% OVERPAY FOR SOAP DISPENSERS SHOW WASTE AS DOGE LOCKS IN ON PENTAGON has become a favorite line for critics who want to paint the Pentagon as fiscally reckless, and those stories will be used to press for tighter oversight. Republicans say waste exists but argue the bigger problem is strategic underfunding that left the force exposed. Oversight questions will mix with policy debates as members push for accountability alongside more resources.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and other Democrats have vowed to try to block the request, and the filibuster means the White House will likely need some Democratic votes to move a massive bill. Sen. Kelly has called the fiscal year 2027 request “outrageous” and urged the administration to submit a budget that “makes sense for the moment we’re in.” “When I got to the Senate five and a half years ago, the defense budget was just over $700 billion,” Kelly told CBS News’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday, a line opponents use to argue the administration is asking for far too much.

The request lays out major investments: more than $65 billion for a Navy “Golden Fleet” initiative, nearly $20 billion for a Golden Dome air defense shield, and billions for a next-generation F-47 fighter and unmanned weapons systems. At the same time, the plan would slash funding for the State Department and international programs by about a third and cut the Environmental Protection Agency by roughly half. Those tradeoffs are deliberate choices by the administration and a central point of contention for appropriators.

One pressure point from April has eased: the administration released $400 million in Ukraine aid that Congress approved in 2025, removing an immediate point of contention over battlefield assistance delays. Still, questions remain about how the Pentagon will prioritize resources across multiple theaters while pursuing a sweeping modernization agenda. The hearing will be a raw look at those choices and a test of whether Congress is ready to fund the administration’s big vision.

Share:

GET MORE STORIES LIKE THIS

IN YOUR INBOX!

Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about.

Discover more from Liberty One News

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading