Mike Gill, a well-known Republican figure and former COO of the CFTC under Donald Trump’s administration, was severely injured during a violent carjacking in Washington, D.C. on Monday evening.
ABC7 News stated that the incident occurred at around 5:45 pm when Gill was waiting in his vehicle near his wife’s workplace located on K Street, which is near the White House.
According to a spokesperson for the Gill family, Erica Richardson, it has been confirmed that Mike Gill was the individual who sustained gunshot wounds at the 900 block of K Street Northwest on Monday evening. At present, he is in critical condition.
Yolanda Douglas, an eyewitness, recounted the terrifying scene when Gill’s wife discovered him injured after he had called her downstairs. “Oh my God, that’s my husband,” she exclaimed upon finding him.
Following the shooting of Gill, the assailant continued to carry out multiple carjackings and one attempted carjacking.
Tragically, one of these incidents resulted in another victim’s death. The carjacking spree eventually led law enforcement to Prince George’s County, Maryland.
It was there that they confronted the suspect.
Engaging in a shootout with Maryland State Police, the individual was ultimately killed by the police. Later on, authorities identified the victim as 35-year-old Alberto Vasquez Jr.
Source: Jacob Walker per ABC7 News
Here is a timeline of the events as described by ABC7 News:
- 5:45 p.m. Monday:
- Location: 900 block of K Street Northwest
- Event: The suspect entered a parked vehicle and shot the driver, critically injuring them. The victim is identified as Mike Gill.
- Around 7:05 p.m.:
- Location: 1000 block of 3rd Street NE
- Event: Attempted carjacking by the suspect, but was unsuccessful.
- Around 7:17 p.m.:
- Location: 1200 block of 3rd Street and N Street NE
- Event: Reports of a shooting. The suspect shot a man and stole his 2016 gray Chrysler 200 with D.C. tags. The victim later died. The vehicle was later recovered in Takoma Park.
- Post 7:17 p.m.:
- Event: The suspect committed multiple other carjackings, including a Toyota Camry.
- 11:23 p.m.:
- Location: University Park in Prince George’s County
- Event: Carjacking of a blue Nissan Rogue from a rideshare driver. The suspect hit the victim in the head with a gun and stole the Nissan. The victim was not seriously hurt.
- Around 2:30 a.m.:
- Location: Near Rt. 198 exit on I-95 South in Laurel
- Event: The suspect shot at the windshield of a trooper’s vehicle. No one was hit.
- Around 3:00 a.m. Tuesday:
- Location: Near DC 295, close to Exit 1
- Event: The suspect drove past a D.C. police officer, shot the door of the officer’s vehicle, and drove away. The officer was not injured.
- Around 4:30 a.m.:
- Location: New Carrollton
- Event: Police located the Nissan Rogue. An officer-involved shooting occurred.
Gill has held various significant positions throughout his notable career.
He was appointed as the Republican member of D.C.’s Board of Elections in 2016 and served until July 2020.
Prior to this role, he had served as the COO of the CFTC and also worked as Chief of Staff to CFTC Chairman Christopher Giancarlo.
Additionally, Gill played a substantial role in regulatory reform efforts.
Mr. Gill’s family sent FOX 5’s Shomari Stone the following statement:
“Mike is an amazing husband, father, friend and colleague. He has a wonderful sense of humor, no matter the situation. He makes friends with everyone – and is always looking for opportunities to bring people together and make them feel included and loved.
His warmth and kindness have touched the lives of many, evident in the outpouring of love and support his family has have received during this difficult time. Mike’s remarkable ability to connect with others transcends boundaries.
His genuine interest in people and his innate ability to make everyone feel valued and included have been instrumental in fostering a sense of community wherever he goes. Whether it’s through his infectious laughter, his genuine concern for others, or his innate ability to find common ground, Mike is a catalyst for unity and friendship.
The most important thing about Mike that all of his friends know is how much he loves his family and how proud he is of his three children. You can’t know Mike without hearing proud stories of each one of his kids, and hearing about his love and respect for his wife, Kristina.”