Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche sparred with Sen. Chris Van Hollen during a Senate Appropriations hearing over a newly announced Justice Department fund and allegations that a Jan. 6 pardon recipient promised money to conceal crimes. The exchange highlighted partisan tension over a $1.776 billion Anti-Weaponization Fund, questions about pardons and commutations, and whether claims about how that money might be used were accurate.
Blanche came before the committee to defend the Justice Department’s fiscal 2027 budget and explain the creation of the Anti-Weaponization Fund, which the department described as a way to address alleged government “lawfare.” Van Hollen pushed back hard, calling the fund a “slush fund” he said would benefit allies of the president, and pressed Blanche about specific cases tied to Jan. 6 pardons. The hearing immediately turned into a clash over characterizations and timing rather than a dry budget briefing.
Van Hollen accused one pardon recipient of telling victims he planned to use expected restitution money to keep them quiet and demanded assurances that such a person would be ineligible for payouts from the fund. “That person actually tried to buy the silence of these children by saying that he would pay them some of the funds that he was hoping to get from your slush fund,” Van Hollen asked Blanche. The senator framed the allegation as a moral outrage tied directly to DOJ policy choices.
Blanche struck back without hesitation, challenging the premise of the question and the timeline Van Hollen used. “Well, you’re obviously lying in your question, because there’s no way that this person committed to that,” Blanche said. “The slush fund, as you call it… didn’t exist.” In a Republican view, Blanche’s blunt correction underscored the importance of accuracy when making accusations that could malign a process not yet in place.
Van Hollen then warned Blanche angrily on the Senate floor and insisted he was relaying statements the suspect had made about expected funds. “Don’t ever do that again. I am reporting what he said,” Van Hollen said. The exchange took on greater heat given the background: the former defendant, Andrew Paul Johnson, received a presidential action and had been convicted and sentenced in March 2026 to life in prison for abuse of minors, a fact that made the allegation especially inflammatory.
Florida investigators documented Discord messages tied to Johnson in which he told a victim “he was being awarded $10,000,000 as a result of being a ‘jan 6’er’” and that he would put the victim “in his ‘will’ to take any money he had left over,” according to an affidavit Van Hollen read aloud. Blanche pointed out the obvious timeline problem: Johnson made those claims before the Anti-Weaponization Fund existed, so the senator’s framing about the fund enabling the behavior was misleading. That detail matters when senators demand policy changes or exclusions.
The broader context includes debate inside the Justice Department about restitution and how to respond to what some officials call “lawfare” against political actors, and one Trump-era pardon attorney, Ed Martin, has advocated for restitution for those convicted in connection with Jan. 6. Democrats counter that steps by the department have already opened paths for restitution in some cases, while Republicans see the fund as a needed response to weaponized prosecutions. The back-and-forth reflects deep distrust between the parties about motives and the proper use of Justice Department authority.
Outside the theater of the hearing, the point that should matter to voters is straightforward: rules and processes must be clear before anyone gets paid and allegations should be tied to facts, not assumptions. Lawmakers owed Blanche a fair shot at explaining the fund, and the committee deserved factual precision instead of overheated claims. Going forward, senators should focus on crafting precise eligibility rules and guarding against political theater that distracts from the legal and budget decisions before them.